The 14th Annual Soup Day for United Way will be held on Tuesday, October 23 at Otis Campbell's (216 W Front Street). Orders include soup, bread, and a cookie for only $7! There are 23 soups to choose from. For a pre-order form, please click here. Pre-orders must be submitted by 10:30 a.m. on Monday, October 22.
The Chamber's Young Professionals group is being re-launched!
A Happy Hour networking event will be held Thursday, October 25 at Otis Campbell's (216 W Front Street, Washington). Mayor Sandy Lucy will welcome the group, but there is no formal program.
Don't forget to bring business cards to share, plus one to enter in our door prize drawing!
The 2018 market season will come to a close at the end of October, and we are celebrating another wonderful year!
One of the great successes of the market is the Kids Club - SPROUTS - that was started in 2016. We love seeing these sweet kids at the market each week. The club is making a positive impact on members in a variety of ways, from trying new healthy foods, to learning important lessons in money management, and making new friends!
If you would like to help support the market and the Sprouts Kids Club, or if you just want an awesome new shirt to add to your closet, please fill out this form and return it to the Chamber Office by Friday, October 12.
SPROUTS SHIRT - $10 EACH YOUTH & ADULT SIZES
- Andrew T. Clary - Edward Jones
- Michael Freese - hth companies, inc.
- Amanda Griesheimer - Washington Area Chamber of Commerce
- Jamie Holtmeier - Bank of Washington
- Katelyn Huber - Missourian Media Group
- Dustin Jasper - Bank of Franklin County
- Leigh Kolb - East Central College
- Kristin Kopp - St. Francis Borgia Parish
- Lesley Liesman - Bank of Franklin County
- John Nilges - City of Washington
- Mark Pollock, Jr. - Radio Comm Co.
- Carrie Rufkahr - GenFinity Wealth Management
- Jenna Speckart - Mercy
- Pam Tholen - St. Francis Borgia Regional High School
- Matt Wilson - Wilson Video Productions
Red Potato Salad
Green Beans w/ Ham
Rolls & Butter
Assorted Cookies & Brownies
Tea, Lemonade, Water
The program will include the presentation of the Outstanding Young Professionals Class of 2018. Thank you to everyone who took the time to nominate someone. We had a lot of qualified candidates! A representative from the Young Ambassadors, a new joint steering committee formed by the Chamber, Downtown Washington, and the City of Washington, will report on upcoming plans for the Young Professionals networking group.
Tickets to the Member Luncheon are $12/person. Please RSVP to Cheryl (636-239-2715 x102) by Friday, September 14 if you would like to attend the luncheon. Payment is due Monday, September 17 and can be brought to the Chamber Office (323 W Main Street) or mailed to PO Box 752, Washington, MO 63090.
Here's what you need to know:
1. Admission to the tasting area is $15 in advance, $20 at the door
2. Admission price includes a commemorative glass
3. Over 50 microbrew beers from over 18+ breweries will be poured for tasting, including: John G's Tap Room Home of Augusta Brewing Company, Point Labaddie Brewery, The Old Bakery Beer Company, Urban Chestnut Brewing Company, Boulevard Brewing Company, Deep Sleep Brewing Company, Good News Brewing Company, Missouri Beer Company, Public House Brewing Company: Rolla, Social Call Brewing, Schlafly Beer, Logboat Brewing Company, Elysian Brewing, O'Fallon Brewery, Mother's Brewing Company, SweetWater Brewing Company, Alaskan Brewing Co., and Golden Road Brewing!
4. This year we have partnered with food vendor StreetSide Tacos who will be on-site during the event and providing items for purchase
5. Live music by The Tall Poppies will be played throughout the duration of the event
6. Back by popular demand! Mixed drinks will be available for purchase from Pinckney Bend Distillery and Wood Hat Spirits
7. Proceeds from the event will benefit ongoing community projects sponsored by the Washington Jaycees
To pay in advance, visit the downtown Post office or purchase tickets online.
Your glass will be reserved. Tasting hours are from 4 - 8 pm.
For questions or inquiries contact event chairpersons Frank Hemmer or Jake Westhoff.
Information on job openings can also be e-mailed to the Chamber Office to be posted.
Marketing ideas are coming together, so I wanted to reach out each of our members to let you know about one idea …a public art project. Some of you may be familiar with the St. Louis 250th birthday cakes. If not, these were fiberglass cakes placed throughout the St. Louis region as far out as Franklin County. The cakes were a huge success, drawing tourists, art lovers, and people who enjoy a good scavenger hunt. We are considering doing something similar, but on a smaller scale, and instead of cakes, kites! When you think of Ben Franklin (for whom our county is named), you think of the kite experiment. Also, the kites would be made of stainless steel, to withstand the elements.
The kites will be approximately 5-feet tall, including the tail, and can hang on a building or they can be free-standing (with the proper equipment.) We are wanting sponsors who will display a kite painted by themselves or by a local artist. These kites will be on display from approximately March through the end of 2019, which is the county’s bicentennial. Similar to the St. Louis cakes, people will be looking to find all of the kites throughout the county. The sponsors will have the opportunity to use this as a draw to their business or destination. At the end of the year, prizes will be given to “hunt winners”. The sponsorship is a $200 investment, but we believe the marketing value will certainly out-weigh the cost. We hope this county-wide bicentennial project has piqued your interest and will want to participate when the kites become available!
Mary Beth Rettke
Washington Tourism Director
The event is held 5:00-7:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 4 at Hillermann Nursery & Florist (2601 E 5th Street, Washington). Tickets are $25 in advance and can be purchased here. Tickets can also be purchased at the event for $30 each.
Come experience a Tasting of Fall Fun, Local Restaurants, Musics and Drinks from all over Franklin County! Join us for an evening of great food and fun! Over 20 vendors will be there with all their yummy goodness. Our wonderful partners are donating their time and products, so your ENTIRE TICKET PRICE goes to support Foundations for Franklin County!
More from the Blog...